Sunday, April 6, 2025

The Darkness’ wardrobe assistant helped them with bizarre hangover cute to get through gigs

The Darkness used to need "two ice cubes directly into the eyes" to get on stage. The 'I Believe...
Home Music News

Music News

U2 to release new album in 18 months


U2 plan to release a new album in just 18 months.
The Irish rockers caused controversy when they allowed their latest LP 'Songs of Innocence' to be given away on iTunes for free but despite only coming out in September the group already have another collection, titled 'Songs of Experience', lined up.
Bassist Adam Clayton told the new issue of Rolling Stone magazine: "We're hoping 'Songs of Experience' will be less about intimacy and more about a celebration of sorts."
Clayton's bandmate Bono has also revealed an album called 'Songs of Ascent' - a record he previously claimed would be the follow-up to 2009's 'No Line on the Horizon' - could still be released as part of a trilogy of themed LPs.
The singer said: "'Songs of Ascent' will come. And there are some beautiful songs."
The band also revealed they scrapped a completed version of 'Songs of Innocence' entirely produced by Danger Mouse because it didn't sound how a U2 record should sound, and instead changed some tracks with Ryan Tedder, Paul Epworth, Declan Gaffney and Flood.
Speaking about the music solely made with Danger Mouse, guitarist The Edge - who is also joined in the band by drummer Larry Mullen, Jr. - said: "We realised, 'OK, we've actually not delivered what you might call the hallmarks of our work - the big music."

Taylor Swift refused country request


Taylor Swift refused her record label boss' request to put two country songs on her new album.
The 24-year-old singer has admitted she was so insistent on changing genre from country music to pop for her upcoming fifth studio album '1989' that she went against the wishes of her label chief, who is now "as happy as a clown" with the record.
She said: "The decision came directly from me. I had to plead my case with everyone and certain people at the record label.
"I had to really campaign and get everyone on my side.
"I showed them that I was doing this for all the right reasons and that this was the creative decision and artistically there was no other option than to boldly hone this album for what it is.
"I had to convince my Nashville record label president it was right for me. I presented the album to him and he said, 'It's great, it's the best thing you've ever done but can you put two country songs on it?'
"But I refused. I explained it would change the solid cohesiveness of the record, so he agreed.
"He's happy as a clown now as we then got our first Hot 100 No.1 with 'Shake It Off'."
The blonde stunner also admitted her famous female pals, Lena Dunham, Lorde and Hayley Williams, helped influenced her to ditch her country roots and make a full-on pop album.
She added to The Sun newspaper: "I cut my hair, moved to New York and completely embraced being single. That was a new bold step forward for me.
"Surrounding myself with strong and beautiful women in my girlfriends has made it a really good two years. And this has helped make the decision to officially change genre on '1989'."
Taylor dabbled in pop music on her last album 'Red' but she has admitted she thought the first single from the record, 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together', "sounded ridiculous" until she was nominated for Record of the Year at the Grammy Awards last year.
She said: "I have got a thicker skin now and I have a better sense of humour.
"Some people think I am serious when I am doing the rap in 'Shake It Off', but the whole song is done with a wink and a comedic vibe, the same way as people thought I was really serious in We are Never Ever Getting Back Together.
"I was going, 'Like EVER'. We did that in the studio and it was so annoying that we just had to put it in the song.
"We cracked up laughing thinking, 'Can we get away calling it a song?' It had the longest title ever and sounded ridiculous. Then I got nominated for record of the year at The Grammys!"

McBusted to release debut album


McBusted will release their debut album in December.
The supergroup - consisting of Tom Fletcher, Harry Judd, Matt Willis, James Bourne, Danny Jones and Dougie Poynter - have compiled a 12-track collection named 'McBusted,' featuring tracks from a range of different genres, including 'Air Guitar', 'Hate Your Guts' and 'What Happened To Your Band,' which was written by James following the split of Busted in 2005.
Despite forming late last year, the band wanted to wait before they put any material out as "the expectations are so high" they wanted release "f***ing good" music.
The album will also include a number of big-name stars, including a collaboration with Blink 182's Mark Hoppus, who helped write 'Sensitive Guy' and leant his vocals to the punk track 'Hate Your Guts'.
Tom said of Mark: "He'd been such a huge influence on our song writing that to finally get in a room with him was so fun, if slightly surreal."
However, that's not all the group have in store for fans this year as they are also releasing a film called 'TourPlay', which is a behind-the-scenes video diary of their journey over the past year, through Vue cinemas, exclusively, nationwide on October 28.
'McBusted' is set for release on December 1.

The full track listing for the album is as follows:
'Air Guitar'
'Hate Your Guts' (Feat. Mark Hoppus)
'What Happened To Your Band'
'Get Over It'
'Riding On My Bike'
'Gone'
'Sensitive Guy'
'Beautiful Girls Are The Loneliest'
'Before You Knew Me'
'Back In Time'
'How's My Hair?'
'Getting It Out'

Additional Deluxe Edition Tracks:
'23:59'
'In Da Club'
'I See Red'

Jake Bugg performs biggest show

Jake Bugg performed his biggest headline show to date in London on Tuesday (21.10.14). The 'Lightning Bolt' hitmaker didn't need to rely on dazzling visuals, witty banter or an array of backing performers for his show at Alexandra Palace, instead keep...

Sam Smith wants Adele collaboration


Sam Smith wants to collaborate with Adele.
The 22-year-old singer/songwriter has admitted he'd love to team up with the 'Someone Like You' songstress, but Adele has yet to get in contact with him about a possible collaboration.
Talking to BANG Showbiz at the MOBO Awards at London's SSE Wembley Arena on Wednesday night (22.10.14), Sam said: "Of course I'd like to work with Adele! I think everyone would. She hasn't [asked]. I've met her though, she's lovely."
The 'Money on My Mind' hitmaker also revealed that he had been chatting to Rihanna recently but appeared to squash any talk of a musical collaboration.
He said: "I met Rihanna, I got to know her a little bit. She's an incredible woman. My collaborations always happen organically that's what I'm trying to do with everything. I don't like things to be forced together."
Sam - who took home an incredible four prizes from the MOBOs including the Best Album award for 'In the Lonely Hour' - explained that he is relying on his mother to stay grounded.
He said: "I'm still getting used to everything. I think when I think about it too much my head will just get gigantic so I need to not think about it and just let my mum carry on parenting me."

Katy B given Kiss Kitty doll


Katy B says the most unusual gift she has ever been given by a fan is a Hello Kitty doll dressed as Kiss star Gene Simmons.
The 25-year-old singer's "number one" fan is obsessed with her music and the rock band and as a gift he gave her the plush cat toy dressed in black leather and with white and black face paint just like the long-tongued bassist.
Speaking at the Argos Live event at the retailer's new digital store on Old Street in London, she told BANG Showbiz: "I have this fan who travels everywhere I go on tour and he is a massive Kiss fan as well, so it's Katy B and Kiss which is really random, but the other day he bought me a Hello Kitty dressed up as one of the members of Kiss, I think it was Gene Simmons as Hello Kitty which was pretty cool really."
Although she gets odd gifts from fans, the pop star insists she doesn't have any weird rider requests when she is on tour.
Katy - who is currently on the road in the UK - revealed: "My tour manager also manages Aloe Blacc and she said she requests on his rider specifically for herself - a fridge magnet for ever place she goes to and I was really jealous of that. I might have a fridge magnet making an appearance soon of east London or something."
Katy performed a short set to mark the opening of the store comprised of her hits 'Perfect Stranger', 'Katy On A Mission', 'Louder' and 'Lights On'.
During 'Perfect Stranger' she singled out one lucky guy in the crowd to sing specific lyrics to.

Alvin Stardust has died


Alvin Stardust has died.
The 'My Coo Ca Choo' hitmaker - whose real name was Bernard William Jewry and who previously performed as Shane Fenton - has passed away at home at the age of 72 following a short illness, his manager has announced.
He had recently been diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer.
The sad news comes just a few weeks after the 'Jealous Mind' singer - who had 11 UK top 40 singles and appeared in a string of stage productions, including 'Godspell', 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' and 'David Copperfield' - announced plans for a new album, 'Alvin'.
He said on his official website last month: "I am extremely delighted to announce that my new album is now finished and will be released at the beginning of November by Conehead Records.
"
Alvin' is a new and exciting departure for me and I'm immensely proud of the finished product and the amazing work of Richard Scott and Scott Ralph of Daftdog Productions in recording and producing it."
Alvin had three children from his two previous marriages to Iris Caldwell and Liza Goddard, sons Shaun and Adam - better known as producer and DJ Adam F - and daughter Sophie, and another daughter, Millie, 13, with third wife Julie Paton.

Sam Smith leads MOBO winners


Sam Smith was the big winner at last night's (22.10.14) MOBO Awards, taking home four prizes.
The 22-year-old singer took picked up the trophies for Best Male Artist, Best R'n'B Artist, Best Song for 'Stay With Me' and Best Album for 'In the Lonely Hour' at the ceremony at London's SSE Wembley Arena.
Despite his success, Sam - who had earlier picked up Best New Act at the Q Awards - admitted he is still getting his head around fame.
He told BANG Showbiz: "I'm still getting used to everything. I think when I think about it too much my head will just get gigantic so I need to not think about it and just let my mum carry on parenting me."
Duo Krept & Konan - who have so far only released mix tapes independently but recently signed a record deal - beat the likes of Tinie Tempah to pick up Best Hip-Hop act and were delighted to take home the prize.
Konan said: "I feel great! The category had a lot of people that I respect... to be honest it's a great feeling. I feel like South London's got a negative stereotype but we're turning that into a positive, representing South London, that no matter what you do, anything's possible."
Other winners at the event included Jessie J - who opened the show with a performance of 'Bang Bang' - Ella Eyre, and Beyonce, while performances came from Professor Green and Tori Kelly, Krept and Konan and Candi Staton, who joined forces with rapper Little Simz for a rendition of her classic 1986 hit 'You've Got The Love'.
Mel B and Sarah-Jane Crawford hosted the ceremony, which returned to London for the first time in five years.
The winners were compiled 50% by the public and 50% by Mobo's Panel Of Specialists, except for Best Grime and Best Album, which was voted for by the public on Twitter.


MOBO 2014 list of winners:
MOBO Best African: Fuse ODG
MOBO Best Reggae: Stylo G
MOBO Best HipHop: Krept and Konan
MOBO Best RnB/Soul: Sam Smith
MOBO Best Gospel: Living Faith Connection Choir
MOBO Best Jazz: Zara McFarlane
MOBO Best Grime Act in association with Radio 1Xtra - Stormzy
MOBO Best Newcomer in association with HTC: Ella Eyre
MOBO Best Male: Sam Smith
MOBO Best Female: Jessie J
MOBO Best Intl: Beyoncé
MOBO Best Video: Skepta
MOBO Best Song: Sam Smith
MOBO Best Album: Sam Smith
MOBO Inspiration Award: Idris Elba






Nick Mason: Pink Floyd won’t tour


Nick Mason says Pink Floyd will not play live again because David Gilmour doesn't want to hit the road.
The two musicians reunited this year to make new album 'The Endless River', which features multiple parts recorded by late keyboard player Rick Wright - who passed away in 2008 aged 65.
However, fans hoping for a tour by the legendary band will be left disappointed as guitarist-and-vocalist Gilmour doesn't want to play the record live.
When asked if the group could tour again at the Q Awards on Wednesday (22.10.14), Mason told BANG Showbiz: "I would do it but Dave doesn't want to. So no there are no plans for any shows."
Speaking after he collected the Classic Album prize for Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side Of The Moon', he added: "It would be fun to play live, but it doesn't actually lend itself to a proper tour. It's something that you could play in UFO Club in 1967, it certainly isn't a stadium sort of event, and without Rick it's probably impossible. It's impossible to play, because the nature of it is that a lot of it is designed there and then - if one played it again, you wouldn't want to repeat what was one the record. It's not something where you learn it and play it."
Mason also revealed he and Gilmour never considered asking former bandmate Roger Waters to play on the album because the music was originally recorded when they were making 1994 LP 'The Division Bell' which Waters didn't play on.
The 70-year-old drummer said: "No it was never a consideration to get Roger on the record. All this music was stuff we did 20 years ago for 'Division Bell' which didn't have Roger on it wouldn't make sense to ask him."
'The Endless River' is the most pre-ordered album of 2014 on Amazon.co.uk, overtaking Coldplay's 'Ghost Stories' and it could even overtake One Direction's 2013 hit 'Midnight Memories' as the most pre-ordered album of all time on the website.

Must Read

Vera Farmiga to release debut albim with metal band The Yagas

Vera Farmiga is to release a debut album with her metal band The Yagas. The 51-year-old actress – who...

Mae Stephens struggled to wash out paint after filming Woah Man! music video

Mae Stephens struggled to wash out the paint after shooting the music video for her song 'Woah Man!'. The...

Geri Horner hints that the Spice Girls will reunite as a ‘collective’

Geri Horner wants the Spice Girls to reunite as a "collective". The five members of the 'Wannabe' group –...